Friday, September 11, 2009

Another Monday, post work note

I got canceled yet again on Sat morning. At 4:30am. And that was it, I was up for the day. The upside to it was that Wyatt and I got to go to Beckys birthday party, which was lovely. As soon as we got there, Wyatt spotted a cicada, and promptly FREAKED OUT.

Not that I blame him. After having done the 87 Renn Faire, which coincided with the 7 year cicada swarm, I HATE those little fuckers. I have very unpleasant memories of the sound they make when you step on them in leather sandals, it's not pretty. And of how it feels to go sliding across a stage after stepping on one in leather sandals. And the utter freakout of having one fly down the front of a 10lb velvet dress you're wearing in 95 degree heat. Yeah, me and cicadas, not a good combination.

But Wy calmed down, we had a really nice time, headed back to my folks house, and then I went home and tried to get some sleep.

I say tried, because apparently it's a bad idea for me to drink Pepsi after 6pm. I was up until 1am.

But the dreaded 5am phone call never came, I got dressed and went in to work. I was assigned to 7 General, the neurological unit I worked on last weekend, and had one of the same patients I had last week. he in his 50's and has syphilis that's gone to his brain.

That's right kids, to the brain. The same shit that killed Henry VIII.

Of course, nobody would ever confuse this dude with a King of England. This guy was nasty, funky, with cornrows that grew out into mats a good 3 months ago. He'd had a bath the night before, but that funk was just so ground in, his whole room smelled like a hamster cage.

Luckily it was a mellow day, so one of my CNA's and I were able to give Mr Funky ANOTHER bath, we got some vasoline and greased up his hair enough to work out the mats and old cornrows, and them we each took half his head and re-did the rows.

Yes, I know how to cornrow. (Erica's so proud of me right now, because if Tim and I had kids, I wouldn't have been one of those white mothers of a mixed child who had no clue what to do with her daughters hair, so she wouldn't have had to laugh at me behind my back)

By 2pm, I was so wiped out, I ran to the Starbucks on the first floor, and got a White Mocha with double espresso, which perked me right up.

Which of course meant that I had nothing to do for the rest of the day.

I was chasing down every other nurse and CNA on the floor asking if they needed help, and nobody did. I was SO bored I ended up finishing the book I'd started reading the day before.

My shift ended, this time WITHOUT one of my patients coding, and I picked Wy up and headed home. As I was getting him tucked in, I had my hair down, and he started running his fingers through it. I asked if he liked playing with my hair, and he said "I love it. it looks just like the brushers in the Laser Wash 4000 car wash on University Parkway!"

Since car washes, and Goth Belly dancers are the new loves of his life, I took it as a compliment.

I feel asleep almost before my head hit the pillow, and woke up at 2am to Wyatt trying to pry my eyelids open, because he'd woken up, come into my room, put on Bee Movie, crawled into bed with me, and wanted me to watch it with him. Finally got him back to sleep by bribing him with a car wash promise for today (which I kept, because you can go through the car wash in your pajamas)

No comments:

Blog Archive