Friday, September 11, 2009

It's never boring in my neck of the woods!

I got canceled from work this weekend, so no funny hospital stories, but you know, when God closes a door...

One of my classmates, Theresa is staying with me during the week, which is really great. She's a really good friend, great company, and it's so nice to have another adult in the house. There's only so much carwash and elevator talk a Mom can take...

So, Wy got home from school, we got his homework done, and T and I were sitting on the back porch chatting, when we heard brakes squeal, plastic crunching, general - oh shit that sounded like an accident- noises.

T and I both being nurses (She's an ER nurse), couldn't help ourselves, we HAD to go look. There was a car stopped in the middle of the street, and an overturned scooter, with a guy in roughly his late 20's lying in the road.

Well, that was it, the adrenalin kicked in, and we both took off at a dead run to check the guy. He had some road rash on his arm, his head was fine, despite the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet, but his ankle was a little floppy and he was having trouble moving it. By the time T and I got to him, he already had his cell phone out, calling his mother to come pick him up. He was adamant that he didn't need any help until Theresa started moving his ankle.

Now in this situation, I know who the expert is here, and it's T. She's a very experienced trauma nurse, so I ran back over to the house to grab gloves, a stethoscope, B/P cuff and HAND SANITIZER. (that's how you tell the experiences nurses from the nubies - we're not touching ANYONE without gloves and sanitizer!) Got back over, told my neighbor to call 911 on the way back, and as T was assessing his ankle, I checked his B/P and pulse.

He had called his mother 2 more times since I had gone. T and I both told him he needed to go to the hospital, his ankle was probably broken, but he kept saying - Nah, I can't do that right now, I'll have to do it later. Theresa and I both noticed his pupils were a little too dilated, and he didn't seem to be in quite as much pain as you'd expect, which explained why he didn't want to go to the hospital or have an ambulance called. Scooterboy looked like he was high as a kite, and the way he kept checking his pocket made both of us think he was probably holding.

But, they were already on their way, along with Fire and Rescue, and 3 Winston Salem Cops. Which meant that it's showtime in the neighborhood!

That's right, pretty much everyone on the block was out on their porch, or wandering up to see what happened, including Wy, who was standing in the driveway, VERY excited by the fire truck and ambulance. The EMT's got out of the firetruck, checked the guy out, ALSO told him he needed to go to the hospital, Theresa and I gave them his vitals and told them about the ankle pain. Then we headed back to the house for a smoke, a beer, some dinner and some more studying. The rest of the fools on my block stood around staring, joking, and generally making a social event out of what could have ended with this idiots brains all over the street. I've seen this guy come flying through the neighborhood, on dirtbikes and scooters, usually at about 60 mph ( the speed limit here is 35) and never with a helmet on.

So anyway, the block party ended with Scooterboys Mom coming and picking him up to take him to the ER, and one of his buddies (who he'd also called on his cell as he was laying in the street bleeding) picked up the scooter. The woman who was driving the car gave her info to the police, the rest of the crowd trickled away, and not Theresa, Wyatt and i all have an interesting story to tell when people ask how our evening was.

Never a dull moment here!

No comments:

Blog Archive