Friday, September 11, 2009

Wyatt-isms

This being (as you all know by now) Wyatts 9th birthday, I've been thinking all day about things he's done and said over the last 9 years. Things that have tickled me, made me smile, made me tear up, made me think. So, in celebration of my (not so) little boy, he's a few of my favorite Wyat-isms

In kindergarten Wyatt's teacher asked the class "Who can think of a word that starts with C?" Wy popped up, all exited and yelled out "CRAP! That's a good C word!"


One day in pre-school Wyatt didn't want to lay down for nap time. His favorite aide, LaKiesha finally got him to lay down on his mat. After a few minutes, she heard him singing to himself. She listened for a bit, then asked the teacher Donna "Is that little white boy singing Bob Marley?"

He was. He was singing "Get Up, Stand Up", complete with the Peter Tosh portion in the middle, in a perfect little Jamaican accent.


At the last Path Of The Moon kids ritual, Wyatt's job was to stamp bees on everyone's hand. He got to RavenHarts 14 year old son, looked up at him and said "Hey, you're growing a mustache! Are you becoming a man?"

One night as I was tucking Wyatt in, he started playing with my hair. I asked if he liked my hair, and he said "It's beautiful, it looks like the brushers at the Auteck 4000 car wash"

One year for Halloween, we did the trick or treating downtown in Kernersville. They had a magician there named Captain Jack, who had a real wooden leg. He did amazing tricks, but all Wy cared about was the leg. he went up to Captain Jack, patted his leg, and told him it was very pretty. Captain Jack gave Wyatt 2 handfuls of candy.

Wyatt told the guy driving the Ice Cream Truck that he only gets ice cream from Ford trucks.

POTMC Summer Ceilidh, Wyatt fell in love with all of the lovely ladies of Torque Tribal Fusion Belly Dancing. He invited all of them to come to Nana and Grandpa's house with him and told me he wanted to marry them all. But he still says he loves Sashame the best.

2 years ago I took Wyatt to the mall for an afternoon of elevator riding. The Black Theater Festival was taking place, and the mall was packed with people in town for the festival. Wyatt decided that he just HAD to climb into the lap of every older black woman he saw sitting down, and that's exactly what he did. Climbed into their laps, told them how much he liked their braids, laid his head on their ample bosoms and hugged and kissed them. And every one of those women hugged him right back, not one of them asked why this unknown little boy was in their laps.

Whenever my Mom or I wear frosted lipstick Wyatt says "Oh, you have cake lips, let me kiss your yummy cake lips!"

My friend Theresa is staying with us during the week, for school. She walked through the kitchen yesterday, Wy asked where she was going and she said out back. Then she grinned at him and said "Will you miss me?" Wy said "No, you're just going outside"

When Wy was a toddler, every time my sister Tracy would talk to him he'd stick his fingers in his ears. We didn't know at the time that the pitch of her voice was too high for him, poor Tracy just thought he didn't like her!

I had taken Wyatt up to NY with me to pick up his brother John. As we were waiting in line in a rest stop, a very tall truckdriver bent down and started talking to Wy. In a near perfect Robert DeNiro voice Wy said "Are you talking to me? Are you talking...to...me?" (He had just watched Shark Tail and had picked the line up from that - no I did not show my then 4 year old Taxi Driver!)

No comments:

Blog Archive